Don’t let the remodeled kitchen or on-trend color of the carpet fool you into signing for a home uninformed. Instead, make an informed purchase with a home inspection from CalPro Inspection Group. Our certified inspectors look beyond aesthetics to determine the true condition of the home. In fact, the eight most common defects our inspectors uncover are in the most overlooked areas of the home: the roof, exterior, crawl space, and ductwork.
- Gutters – Excessive debris prevents water from draining properly, causing water to overflow and pool around the foundation. Similarly, leaking gutters cause moisture damage to fascia boards, leading to deterioration and mold growth.
- Neglected Tile Roof – Cracked or damaged tiles are hard to spot from the ground. Without prompt repair, damaged tiles allow water to leak onto the underlayment, leading to wood rot and water leaks inside the home.
- Neglected Siding/Trim– All home exterior cladding requires maintenance to prevent damage to the home. When not properly tended to, peeling paint, unsealed cabling penetrations, and areas of damage allow moisture intrusion. This, in turn, leads to wood rot and mold issues. Yikes!
- Grading Problems – Grading problems are hard for the untrained eye to spot. Improper soil grading, however, causes water to pool around the foundation and leads to water damage.
- Water Damage/Mold – Neglected crawl spaces and basements are prone to moisture problems. When left unchecked, this can cause wood rot and mold issues.
- Duct Damage – Similarly, ductwork under the house often goes unchecked. Age and moisture problems can damage ductwork, thereby compromising HVAC efficiency and creating a fire hazard.
- Leaking Pipes – Much of the home’s plumbing is hidden in the basement or crawl space. When left unchecked, leaks can run up utility bills, cause issues with mold and wood rot, and allow waste water to escape into the home
- Dryer Ducting – Clogged dryer exhaust ducts are quite common and lead to thousands of home fires every year.
Schedule an Inspection
When you think you’ve found the house of your dreams, verify that your feelings match the facts with a home inspection from CalPro. Our certified inspectors are trained to spot these hidden issues and more. With a detailed inspection report in hand, our clients are empowered to make an informed purchase. Call (800) 474-3540 to request a quote or schedule online now. We serve Greater Sacramento and the entire Bay Area.usfa.fema.gov